Zazzle Store

Friday, January 28, 2005

Bad Singing after Good Food.

This will be a boring entry. It's not that I don't want you to read it. It's mostly that I'm warning you ahead of time, so when you complain, I can point to the first sentence and say "See! I told you that before hand." But you are bound to read it now that you've started. Such is my sway over you.

First things first. I suck, because I know you were all waiting for me to write. This will likely be more frequent now, as my evening pasttime of the last month is now over. After a not very gut wrenching decision was made, I made my exit last night from that world, considerably less dressed than the way I entered it. (I gave away/sold/dusted(this means something in that world) all my clothes and items at the end to a friend, so both of my main characters ended up in their underwear. And for some reason, the females have a rather skimpy set of said underwear. I cannot imagine why). Another note is I realized how much of a dork I was when (well, okay we all already knew I was, but this just sealed the deal) I saw a shirt on Penny Arcade and immediately tried to think of other shirts that would use the same concept, but be funnier/better. And the concept is based around World of Warcraft's method of conveying the rarity of an object.

The shirt in question is the one that says "WTS [Wang]x1 PST" in WoW speak, that means "Want to sell one rare wang, please send tell (or private message) if you're interested."

So I started thinking of ideas like [Journey] which of course means "Epic Journey". And [Man] [Fate] which of course means "Common man, uncommon fate". Then I realized that these shirts would only be "cool" for an EXTREMELY specific value of cool, and that my friends is the definition of dorky. So I gave up on the idea. Especially considering that I'm no longer playing.

This week I'm also having the fun of working 60 hours in 6 days. It's actually not as bad as it could be, but honestly, if it were for more than this week and next, it would suck. You basically have no time for life when you spend 10-12 hours at work 6 days a week. You come home, have dinner (which your wonderful wife prepares for you) and you go to bed. That's it. Not only that, but I end up so burned out from thinking and coding all day at work, that I'm just not mentally there to deal with anything more complicated than "what kind of beer do you want tonight".

But tonight we got to go out to dinner with some friends (I only put in 9 hours today, I kinda burned out a bit around the 40 hour mark yesterday too) and had a really good time. Enjoyed some Tex Mex (tasty, but very Americanized) at Tia's, including their Margaritas and Swirls (the Swirl is girly as hell, but I always get it, because it tastes damn good). Then we came back and play Karaoke Revolution on the XBox. I got it for my wife after she and I played at a friends house quite a while back. She kept saying how much she wanted it, so for the first time ever, my wife received two videogames (DDR as well) for her birthday, and she loved them. It was actually pretty surreal. See, I've always thought of video games as cool only for a certain (though much broader than the one I talked about above) value of cool. One that almost never included women. Sure I've gotten my younger sister into a few of the lighter games (Civ II, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Theme Hospital), and I've hopelessly addicted my father-in-law and brother-in-law to Starcraft, (well the idea of beating me, 2v1 at it) , but my wife wouldn't even sit down and try World of Warcraft. Oh well. Tonight we unlocked a bunch of new costumes, venues and even a new song. I sang a stirring rendition of "Wind Beneath My Wings" complete with a emotional fist clenching, and I think Michael Jackson spun over in his bunk bed.

But now there are even more people that want this game. My mother-in-law left the birthday party asking why they didn't have this game, and our friend who came tonight left thinking of purchasing it. Always fun to spread something. Speaking of which. If you haven't already, watch Battlestar Galactica (the remake on Sci-Fi Channel now). It's really good. It might prove to be better than Farscape, though probably not as good as Firefly.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol Alright, so do I ask your wife's permission to smack you upside the head, or just laugh at you for your silly perceptions? Thinking girls don't play video games or find them cool? I think you've been hanging out with the wrong crowd. :) ...and Star Craft? I have to get back into that, but I have about a half-dozen other games I need to finish up first. :p

As for the burning out when working a constant 60 hrs a week.... yeah, tell me about it. That whole pgh is how I live my life - not by choice mind you. Only I don't have a spouse to cook for me, and have to get up too goldarn early.

Ah well. Sounds like everything's going very well for you. :) Keep it up. Oh, and by chance, if you know anyone who can give me some pointers on this, I have a question for you/them. If I get out of the military in 2 years, I'd like to get into what I've termed "technical management"... meaning I want to hold a management position over computer programmers and such. What skillsets/qualifications/degree do I need to succeed in such a postion?

Thanks, and enjoy your weekend. :)