Zazzle Store

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Cold and Grey is the New Warm and Blue

So as promised, some friends and I spent some time in Harper's Ferry today. Not Harper's Fairy as Jefferson likes to refer to it. Mike and I had a good time taking photos, and all of us had a fun time walking around. Upon return, Mike, my wife and I hung out, finished stringing lights on the tree and ate guacamole, tadziki sauce and salsa with Tostidos Gold chips and giant pita bread. It was quite enjoyable.

Mike and I of course had to run to the computer and transfer all our pictures there and check them out. Both of us had some good and some bad photos. I am officially in love with his camera however, and will sell small body parts to aquire one if possible. I also need the 1 Gig extreme speed flash card he has so I too can hear my camera shutter open and close rapidly. For a more complete set of photos, go here. But I thought I'd stick a few up here for your enjoyment.



Mike took that photo of the man leading some other re-enactors in the drill for firing their rifled muskets.



Which would be these guys. (also by Mike) Meanwhile, I was wondering around shooting anything BUT the people (not really true, but for the sake of this blog entry, we'll pretend it is)





There were quite a few other things to see, and together we took more than 300 photos, though it's not fair because Mike can push down on his shutter button and take continuous photos. Also, his camera looks macho and cool, whereas mine looks like some puny wanna be camera next to his. I kept insisting that size doesn't matter, but we both knew I had a serious case of Camera Envy. He did let me use his camera later to take pictures around the house when we got back.

There is something indefinably nice about spending time with a friend you haven't seen in awhile that you slip easily into old habits with. I think my friend Ginny spent some time talking about this very fact in one of her entries. It's also a lot of fun when both you and your wife know someone well and both slip into easy conversation with them. It's far better than just one of you doing so, because then there are the uncomfortable moments when you attempt to drag your SO into the conversation kicking and screaming, when it is completely obvious that they are an outsider. Fortunately for me, most of my friends end up liking my wife better than they like me by the end of their first evening hanging out with her (and me).

Seriously. I took her to a crew wedding back this summer, and she immediately fell in with friends of mine I formed deep bonds with through four years of toil, sweat, and triumph. (We subcategorized all defeats as toils, it reads much better) When we left for the night, everyone had to stop me to tell me how awesome my wife is. I know this, and I like to hear it, but seriously, every one of them was telling me this. I felt a little left out.

Oh, and a hint to all you women out there. Don't pester your husband because he "never" takes your picture, then proceed to hate every picture he takes of you.


No comments: