Zazzle Store

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Work is Where the Big Chair Is.

So I was at work until about 9pm tonight. Partially it was a cop out from going to Karate because my co-worker who makes me feel guilty for not going didn't either, and besides, the doctors trip yesterday left me about five hours short on the week. So I worked 11 hours today and started catching up. I also have a lot of work to do. But less than I did yesterday because one of the really high ups cancelled one of my tasks.

It's partially my fault because I've gotten a bit behind on my current task. But partially it's the fact that they keep adding tasks to me at the last minute, and there just isn't time for them. I am also not the only person by far to have a task killed. Quite a few were cut and I was just one of them. So I'm trying really hard to have my current task done by tomorrow and to be on schedule or ahead for the rest of the year.

Meanwhile the comments about my awesome chair have died down. See, years ago, we worked across the street in a different building. Same company, just different building. They realistically decided we didn't really need that building and consolodated us, but that's not really part of the story. There were a couple of young guys working some IR&D tasks (that's pronounced eye-rad and means Internal Research and Development). They were at the point of their project that they were starting to show it to all kinds of high ranking customers, and so they got really nice digs, including fancy chairs.

Apparently they got a bunch of them, and never needed them all. Ever. They even had trouble because they had too many for their space. So the guy in charge told me if I wanted one I could have one. Of course I said yes and he wheeled down a high back executive pseudo-leather chair. Now we don't have bad chairs for the most part. They are actually pretty comfortable and solid. But this chair is very nice and looks really important. So for months, people would walk by and say "Where did you get that chair? Look who's important now" etc. But to this day random people who I swear have seen my chair before, will stop, stare, and comment. And they always ask me where I got it.

I just tap the side of my nose and say, "I've got gnections".

They alway stare at me like I'm crazy.

1 comment:

luckydime said...

Hehe, I get the same from people who ask about my guest chair...
Now if I could only get a chair for myself that goes with my guest chair, that'll be great.