Zazzle Store

Saturday, December 11, 2004

What a Season it 'Tis

Whew. Manhandling a tree into a stand, then up the stairs, then being told you will indeed put the lights on it, all while four women critique your performace? I don't think so.

Tree goes in the stand, check. My younger sister helped with that though. To be fair my wife asked if I needed help and I told her I was okay. (This was before I actually started) Then move the furniture to make it fit. For once everyone agreed with me on where things should go. It was nice, especially since two of the women were my wife's mother and sister. Then manhandle the tree up the stairs and into the front door and house. Fine, get a little winded in the process? Check. So now I'm panting a bit after running downstairs and closing up the garage and such. Then I'm told that it's 100 lights to 1 foot of tree height, and that sincve I do such a good job, I'm doing it. Well, let's give that a check minus. 250 lights in and the tree is a bit more than half done (well vertically, as you go down you need more lights to get around the fat limbs.) but I'm all done.

Kinda makes me want to watch some Buffy to wind down.

Yutarei here is most distressed to find himself enjoying this rather remarkable show. He swore up and down for years that he wouldn't watch it because who could take a character named "Buffy" seriously. Despite valiantly explaining that this was rather the point, he refused. But a bet and some coercion have forced him to watch the full second season. His blog has some great commentaries on episodes. For the most part I agree with his comments and find his point of view quite refreshing as opposed to the very firm and established opinions of all the other people I talk about Buffy with. Check out his journey through season two starting from here and ending whenever it is he finishes the season.

My younger sister asked me to write another entry about "poop" but I'm pretty sure she was joking. I did feel that writing about shows I used to like but now think are crappy was close, so I decided to run with it.

Remember all those shows you thought were fantastic when you were 8-12 (or let's face it, for some of us, 21) . Don't watch them again. I had the chance a year or two ago to watch MacGyver on TVLand at night, and these days I catch about 5 minutes of it most mornings while getting ready for work. I loved MacGyver. He was the coolest, and all the situations in the episodes that he got out of using Science were sooo awesome.

Yeah, um apparently I was on drugs as a youngster. MacGyver is about a guy with a mullet who for some reason, a) feels the need to maintain an internal monologue about what he's doing, including stupid puns and wise cracks. It's like he's trying to convince himself how clever he is. b) Gets involved in the most outlandish international conspiracies, things that no government would EVER farm out to another agency, even one as cool as the "Pheonix Foundation". c) They seem to have invented a bunch of guns. I've never seen guns like they use on MacGyver. It's like they took a good gun, and made it look as weird and clunky as they could. I'm not firearms expert, but through various sources, I can now recognize most weapons used on TV and movies (okay, mostly lots and lots of rounds of Firearms) and I have never seen anything like what they use on MacGyver. d) All of his friends are insane with a side of crazy, especially the women. Not only that, but he never manages to actually hook up with any women, it's like he doesn't notice them except as cogs in a very important contraption he is inventing. e) And this is the big daddy of the problems. Oh my God is the acting bad. I mean first season of Babylon 5 bad. Enterprise bad. At least it isn't Starship Troopers bad. I'd never live that down.

Also, when I was young, I never noticed the things they intentionally left out of his solutions to keep people from using the show to learn how to do things like make gunpowder, but now it is so obvious that it bugs the crap out of me. Even though I know they did it on purpose.

My goodness, did I just drivel on for the last half million words up there? And I have the sinking feeling this post isn't even interesting. Oh well. Maybe I'll have some pictures to post after my trip to Harpers Ferry tomorrow. We shall see. Gnight all.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

buffy is terribly under rated. sigh.

Phal. ;)

Tegid said...

Alas this is true. But to those of us in the know, it's like secret knowledge from the dawn of the WB.

Anonymous said...

I would like to respectfully disagree with your comment that you shouldn't go back and watch the shows you used to think were fantastic. Only if you cannot stand the humiliation of realizing that your tastes used to be juvenile, uncritical, and uninformed, should you be wary of going back for a second look. (If this is the case, you should never under any circumstances read old journals or letters by yourself.) Otherwise, it can serve as a fun window onto your past self: who was I back then? what did I think about things? what did I value in entertainment? I dunno... I just find the juxtaposition of my current reactions to a show or movie or whatever over my memory of my past reactions really interesting. But then again, I'm a personal history junkie. In any case, I love looking up stuff I used to think was great, even though it makes me laugh (and sometimes cringe.)

-VRB

PS: The word 'juxtaposition' in the above paragraph was brought to you by Chaucer and Ancient Lit.
PPS: I really hope you used that "it 'tis" in the title facetiously.

Tegid said...

It's not about me. It's about keeping that wonderful memory I had about the show. I don't want to realize that the show was bad, because it taints a memory of my childhood. I want to die remembering that Webster was good, and that Different Strokes was great.

I also want to die remembering that I wrote an awesome poem in 11th grade that won the class "Grand Champion" award. I don't want to realize later that it wasn't very good. It's not so much about realizing my tastes change, I know they do. It's about clinging to warm memories that make me feel good about my past. If I was going to try and make a career as a poet, I'd have to re-read my old work, or I'd never learn. But since I'm not, I'll pass and keep a fond recollection.